Friday, October 22, 2010

Rani ki vav Stepwell

rani ki vav or patan step well in gujarat
pillars and walls of patan stepwell
This stepwell, known as Rani ki Vav or Ranki Vav or the Queen's Stepwell, is the biggest stepwell unearthed in this region and probably the biggest stepwell in its time. Belongs to the 11th cent.
sculpture of lord vishnu in patan stepwell of rani ki vav in gujarat
I will need help in identifying these sculptures. I think it is another incarnation (avatar) or Vishnu. The Conch (Shankha) and the Wheel (Chakra) seem to justify that. But I dont know the importance of the accompanying sculptures.
patan stepwell or rani ki vav in gujarat
sculpture of a demon in patan stepwell
idian women inpatan step well
artistically carves walls of patan stepwell
sculpture of vamana an incarnation of lord vishnu at patan stepwell
I think this depicts the Vamana Avatar of Vishnu where he manifests himself as a dwarf brahmin. Do correct me if I am wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment